Skip to content

Film Budget Breakdown: Part 5 – Other Expenses

budget other

Disclosure: Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, which can provide compensation to us at no cost to you. You can read our full affiliate disclosure in our privacy policy.

With the Post-Production expenses completed, we’ve now arrived at the final portion of our film budget, the Other Expenses section. This can include a variety of different items, but some of the most common are permits, insurance, and legal fees.

As always, when we update these accounts, the top sheet will be updated to reflect the new expense total for the corresponding section – Other Expenses.

Other Expenses

6100 – Insurance

Film budget - Other account 6100 - Insurance Expenses

Insurance is an absolute requirement in the world of filmmaking. There are many types of insurance that a film production might need to purchase.

The most common type of insurance for film production is general liability insurance. This covers the production in case anyone is injured or property is damaged while the film is being made.

Pre-Production Insurance

Some unions will require that you carry insurance during pre-production to cover travel and other liabilities of their guild members

Cast Insurance

Cast insurance protects you from any issues related to cast being unavailable due to illness or even death.

Errors and Omissions (E&O)

E&O insurance protects you from any legal issues that might arise from your film, such as copyright infringement or defamation.

Props / Sets / Etc.

This entry is for insurance to cover our art department items such as props, sets, wardrobe, etc.

3rd Party Liability

This is insurance to cover any damages or injuries caused by either the film crew or cast to a third party, such as an onlooker during filming. If you’ll be filming out in public, this is a necessity.

Guild Accident & Travel

If your film is being made under a union contract, you will need to purchase this type of insurance to cover any accidents or injuries that occur to guild members during production.

General Insurance Package

This entry is for an insurance package that covers all of your equipment and general film production liability needs.

Medical Exam Fees

Anytime you need insurance for any of your cast or crew members, you’ll likely need to have them examined by a doctor beforehand. This is to ensure that they’re in good enough health to work on your film and that you’re not held liable if anything should happen to them.

Film budget - Other account 6200 - Legal & Accounting

Legal and accounting fees can vary greatly depending on the size and scope of your film production.

If you have a simple production with no union contracts, you may only need to pay for an attorney to review your release forms.

On the other hand, if you’re working with a larger budget and more complex contracts, you may need to hire an entertainment lawyer to represent you and your production.

Accounting Fees

You will need to hire an accountant to handle the financial side of your film production. They will be responsible for handling things like payroll, taxes, and other financial paperwork.

LLC / Partnership Fees

If you’re setting up your film production as an LLC or partnership, you will need to pay the fees associated with setting up and maintaining these business entities.

Taxes & Licenses

Depending on the location of your production and the type of film you’re making, you may need to pay for business licenses and permits. You will also need to pay taxes on any income your film generates.

6300 – Publicity

Film budget - Other account 6300 - Publicity

The publicity and marketing budget for your film will vary depending on the size and scope of your production. If you’re making a low-budget indie film, you may only need to spend a few thousand dollars on promoting your film.

On the other hand, if you’re making a big-budget studio film, you could easily spend millions of dollars on marketing and promotion.

The most important thing to remember with your publicity budget is that you need to spend enough to get your film seen by potential audiences. Otherwise, all the money you’ve spent on making your film will go to waste.


If you decide to hire a publicist for your film, they will be responsible for creating and executing a promotional plan and handling media relations.

Asst. Publicist

An assistant publicist will help with the day-to-day tasks of promoting your film. They will also be responsible for handling some of the media relations.

Still Photographer

You will need to hire a still photographer to take photos of your cast and crew during production. These photos can be used for promotion and publicity

Graphic Artist

A graphic artist can help create posters, flyers, and other marketing materials for your film.

Public Relations Fee

In some cases, hiring a public relations firm to handle all of the public relations expenses will be preferable. This entry is for the singular fee that you pay to the public relations company.

Markets & Film Festival

If you plan to submit your film to festivals or markets, you must pay the entry fees associated with these events. These fees can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.

Travel & Lodging

If you’re attending a film festival, film market, or other marketing/publicity-related event, you will need to pay for your travel and lodging expenses.

6400 – Miscellaneous

Film budget - Other account 6400 - Miscellaneous

The miscellaneous expenses category is for anything that doesn’t fit into one of the other categories.

Production Office

You will need to rent a production office for your film. This is where you will hold meetings, do paperwork, and store equipment.

MPAA Code Certification

If you plan to release your film in theaters, you will need to get it certified by the Motion Picture Association of America. The cost of this certification is $500.

Bank Service Charges

This entry is for any unexpected bank fees or service charges.

Shipping Fees

If you need to ship equipment or other materials, you will need to pay for shipping.

General Office Supplies

You will need to purchase office supplies for your production office. This includes things like paper, pens, and Post-It notes, the usual.

Furniture & Equipment Rentals

If you need to rent furniture or equipment for your production office, this is the entry for that expense.

Phone & Communication Rentals

You will need to pay for phone and communication rentals for your production office. This also includes things like prepaid mobile phones and possible international phone fees.

Finders Fees

If you use an agent or other third party to help you find talent, crew, locations, or other aspects of your film, sometimes you will need to pay a finder’s fee.

Wrap Party & Crew Relations

It’s always a good idea to throw a wrap party for your cast and crew. This is a great way to thank everyone for their hard work and also build goodwill for future projects.


As you can see, there are a lot of expenses that go into making a film. However, if you plan ahead and budget carefully, you can make sure that your film is completed on time and on budget.

Share this post on social